Sunday, September 25, 2011

Driving across the UP

After leaving Oshkosh, we found the coastal road heading north. Terrible road surface, but the DOT is working on it. We drove through about 50 miles of road construction. We'd spent some quality time on Michigan's UP in 2006, loved every minute of it, and were happy to be back in the southern part of the UP. Hey, this is where we saw Alice Cooper, live, at the State Fair in '06...that was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

We made a stop at our favorite place to buy GOOD maple syrup. I can't tell you name of the business, but it's on US 2, east of Blaney Park Road, on the north side of the highway, in a green building. You can't miss it; there is no other house or building for many miles. Susan showed us the maple syrup processing equipment, and sold us the last of the grade C stuff she had. Grade C is the darkest, most flavorful, even though most people want the Grade A. I think they're named wrong, but who's asking me? Susan gave me a zucchini from her garden, which we enjoyed that night for dinner.

Just a view of the beautiful Lake Superior...




















It took us three days to get from Oshkosh to St. Ignace, just taking our time. The next day we drove north and east on MI 134, to the end of that peninsula to get to Drummond Island, where there is a lighthouse at De Tour Village (by the ferry landing) and at the far end of the island. You've got to love solitude to live on Drummond Island. It's big, it's remote and it's beautiful. It's also, apparently, a summer cottage place, lots of small houses with seasonal "For Rent" signs in front of them.
This 50-foot tall tree caught my eye. It was decorated like a huge Christmas tree, with hanging pairs of shoes! Too bad I couldn't take a better picture. At the driveway to someone's house in the woods, the owners obviously have a quirky sense of humor.

















Cedarville, the hometown of my Sistah, Gypsygirl. Gypsygirl, the old hometown has grown since you left many years ago, but it's still a tiny, cold place. The gas is still the highest in the state and you can still gt your boat motor repaired, buy smoked fish and eat pasties everywhere.

on the ferry, crossing De Tour Passage, between the UP and Drummond Island. I hope I never get too 'old' to get out of the car and watch the scene when I'm on a ferry...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

gypsygirl said...

OMG I can't believe you went to Cedarville!!! I was not lying when I told you it was a small town. My Dad called it God's Country. So glad you were able to see it. You now have been to where I was born and where I grew up!

karenc said...

Hey, chickie, this is the SECOND time I've been through there! And, it is still tiny. Your dad's idea of it being God's country is something I can agree with in the summer. Hell in winter, though! brrrrr. Give me heat and humidity, please!