Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lisa and Harper arrive, we depart

Can you believe this luck?  I mean with Hurricane Sandy.  It's too late in my life for a hurricane to come ripping up the east coast.  Guess Sandy didn't get my message.  So, we hoping the blow won't change the plans for air traffic out of Florida, where we depart Saturday for Lima, Peru.  I'm trusting Spiritair to make the right decision.  I've wanted to spend some time in Ft. Lauderdale.... 

Lisa and Harper arrived yesterday.  How they can live with so few bags is a real eye-opener.  They each had one medium sized suitcase.  Wait.  I'm going away for 5 weeks with a back pack.  Well, I guess we really need far less than we are hoarding.  ohboy, I'm proud to say that it took less than 5 minutes to clean out the guest bedroom closet, because there was almost nothing in it.  We had a lovely evening, talking and having a typical karen dinner:  whatever is in the fridge and pantry usually comes together for a meal that can't be duplicated.  We were all out and about today, so we'll get to the List tonight and tomorrow.  You know, how to operate the dryer with the timer that isn't reliable; which door is squeaky; trash day; and how to add salt to the water softener.  They are hauling us to Myrtle Beach tomorrow afternoon, for our early Saturday  flight.  Wooohoooooo!  oh, and Lisa is a quilter, so is going to be able to use the embarrassment or riches in my studio while we're away.

Totally different topic:  The Sistahs did some batik experimenting last week.  Here is the yellow-over-blue dye pot.  The light color is the original color, yellow.  After applying the wax, we put this in blue dye.

 This is a piece I dyed, using Ann Johnston's Parfait method.  The dyes were old, so I'm surprised with the outcome.  I expected this to be much more washed-out looking.
 This is Bonnie's, and it is much brighter than the camera captured!
 This is mine,and will become a blouse next spring.  I'm reaalllly happy with how this one came out. 
ok, down to the last few decisions:  water color pencils or water color crayons? 

No comments: