Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday walk about

  We went for a walk about this morning.  It was almost cold, by the time we left the apartment it was 60 degrees fahrenheit.  Of course, like the rest of the world, Mexico uses the celsius/metric system.  We have conversion charts, for people who are fahrenheit challenged.  Our destination: the train museum area.  Not necessarily the train museum, but I wanted a good look at the grafiti in the neighborhood around the old train station.

On the way, we walked past the Soledad Church.  On the quiet, Sunday morning streets, perpendicular to the plaza, the garbage trucks were lined up, 2 x 2, and they were all decorated with flowers.  Those fancy arrangements you see on the hood of the wedding cars.  And, flowers on the rear-view mirrors, and flowers on the lift-body.  Several dozen trucks, in two blocks.  Of course, I asked why the flowers and why the trucks were parked together.  The man I asked, a driver, was pleased to be asked, and told me today is the 30th anniversary of this group of trash trucks keeping Oaxaca clean.  He was proud, and I was, too.  I was proud that he understood my question and I understood his answer!

At the Soledad, the folks were getting ready for a fiesta.  The men were unloading the fireworks riggings from the back of a big truck.  Lots of mescal was being passed around, surreptitously, or course.  We'll check out this fiesta later today.  They NEVER start early.

At the railroad museum, we walked right in, no entrance fee required.  This woman, made of grasses, stood guard at the entrance The Oaxaca railroad station was opened in 1892.  People, livestock and cargo went in and out of here.  Lots of cargo, according to the pictures.

I was really interested in the modern grafiti, however, and we wandered outside.  The words in the above photo say, "The south will never die!".  Yep, true words!

I love the way the grafiti artists work with each other.  One graphic might end, and the next artist will make the first piece work with the second piece.  A sign, claiming authorship, was signed, "Tlacalocos".  Tlacalula is a nearby village; locos is spanish for crazy.  I took lots of pictures...




I particularly love the way this part is part fish and part hand, and the hand moved into yet another design (out of the photo).  There are many more paintings on the walls surrounding the stadium, el deportivo, and I hope to walk there soon.

2 comments:

gypsygirl said...

The artwork is so colorful!

karenc said...

I'd like to get inside the heads of the people who do this painting. What fantastic imaginations! love and spray paints, k