Monday, September 2, 2013

Hunchback of Island Creek

I will find a better name!  This is the Working Title.  What?  I always have names for projects underway, temporary names that change once the project is complete.   I suppose that means this one is not complete.  Doesn't feel like he's complete, so I'll have to look at him for a few days to know what I need to do.

HIC is 24" tall, with a wooden armature.  I bought the pattern for his clothes and shoes, the armature and the unpainted face more than15 years ago at the Williamsburg Quilt Festival, when the Festival was still held in multiple buildings all over town.    The pattern's creator suggested his coat be made from an old quilt, his shoes from fake fur, and all sorts of other suggestions I ignored.  In my world, a pattern is just for the concept and maybe a few details that I don't want to work out, like size and sleeves.














I made the hands with two-part sculpting clay that air dries, and then wired them to the end of the arm wires.  They are a bit skinny.  Next time, I'll flesh them out a little.  heheheee, I made a funny!   Flesh out his hands.  His hair and beard are wool; the boots are leather, and his coat is cotton velvet.  His lace cuffs are an old piece of eyelet, just the correct amount, which I found in the Stash.











Terri K taught me to make these little birds from a square of cotton, and it seemed like this bird wanted to be part of the story here.















I love his boots!  Finishing them with hand-sewing was not easy, but pliers pulled the needle through.  I like the red boot laces.



















His bag is made from a piece of burlap, trimmed with leather, and a leather strap.  I have yet to fill the bag, still thinking about the possibilities.











Whatever will I do with him?!?  No matter.  It's not the destination, it's the journey.  And this was a fun trip.






Posted by Picasa

No comments: