Thursday, December 12, 2013

Random Oaxaca notes


        "What do you DO all day?"  I hear that question a lot.  The standard response is, "well, I live 18 blocks from anything, so I walk a lot!"  That's the truth.  It seems that everything we do takes a bit longer because of getting there.  But, when I consider my method for errand-running in NC, I realize how easy it is here.  Back home, if I'm out running errands, I'm in the car/out of the car, in traffic and out of traffic.  Here, often I walk, but a bus passes every 30 seconds, and for 6 pesos, I can sit for a few minutes.  Today, I had caught a bus up to the Parque Llano (The Lion Park).  This is the Fiesta de Guadalupe, so there were hundred of little children dressed as peasants, to be blessed by the priest.  Mostly, they were at Llano for the rides and food!  Stuart walked over to Paschal Sanchez to buy our weekly yogurt, and I caught a bus back home.  When we met again, we walked over to La Noria market to buy fruit and a bit o' chicken for dinner.  We stopped at Conchita's for lunch.  Suddenly, it was 3:00!
Here are some random photos from the past few days.
A beautiful, typical dress for a Zapotec woman, with jewelry (above).  The current exhibit at the Textile Museum features hand-made dresses from different regions of the state and their history, along with a few (unusual) pieces of jewelry.  Jo Ann Feher taught a beading class a couple of weeks ago at the museum, which I signed up for, and in the class we made a pair of ear rings she copied from a pair on display...no photo yet!


 Thanksgiving Day lunch at Gio.  This avocado was served on a bed of mixed greens, and stuffed with a tasty mayonnaise/chepiche/garlic dressing. Jean Micheal, the owner/chef at Gio, told me what was in it, and I've since made this several times, improving my amounts each time.  Yummmy!


The second course of my T'giving Day lunch:  he called it chp suey!  Thankfully, without those crunchy fried things from a can (which are probably not available here.  Thankfully.  Beautifully julienned veggies and a little bit of beef, in a tasty sesame sauce.






And then, dessert....
ohmy!  A sauce made from the flower of the cactus, tuna, served over a Oaxacan chocolate torte. I'm thankful for Gio!

 The embroidery and crochet work on blouses is awesome.  The most beautiful work can cost from $300US and more.   This one is an example of one of the finer blouses...

 
  I took this photo of an outfit in a shop window because the color combination is so pretty.  I love the white/coffee/purple combination.  Lovely.



At an artisans market a couple of weeks ago, I spied these hand-made shoes.  For men only!  I wanted a pair, but they didn't have any in my size.



  At the same artisan's market, a display (not for sale!) or whimsical, ordinary plastic objects.  You can be sure I'll be at the flea markets when I get home, and something like this will be hanging in my garden!


oh, the music!  Music everywhere, almost every day.  In the streets, in art galleries, in restaurants, in museums.  Marta Saenz, jazz singer by night/tour guide by day, and her pianist.  The music sounded just like this photo looks:  smokey, smooth, and served with several cigarettes and several mezcals (for the singer, I only had the mezcal).   It was a lovely evening at the San Pablo restaurant, attached to the beautiful San Pablo museum.     


Ole'!  In Santa Maria Tule, the small town that boasts the Big Tree,  gardening is an art form.  This dude is happily riding in front of the town hall building.  Every other ficus tree in sight is similarly pruned.


The gardens at Sta. Maria Tule always have curious plants from Central America.  This one, whose common name is "cow udder", was the most curious last week.  It was the one that attracted the most photos, too!


The Big Tree.  I can't begin to describe it, even though I've tried in previous posts.


In addition to all these photo opportunities, I've been studying spanish, with a class twice a week.  I really could spend 5 hours a day studying, but that doesn't happen as much as I'd like to report!  And, the annual Oaxaca Lending Library annual fund-raiser is next week.  A giant yard sale!  I've been helping with the sorting and pricing tasks for the past couple of weeks.  Sale this weekend.  I've put a few garments on my Wish List...I'll be one of the first in line Sunday morning! Beading a little bit has become a Need also; I have a more than one project going at once.  Normal!

Now, I'm off to randomly wander the streets, and look for comida.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: