Friday, December 5, 2008


Our kitchen is furnished with everything we need: sink with hot water, stove, fridge, blender and coffee pot. There are even a couple of wine glasses! Our landlord is a professional photographer, and two of his images hang in the kitchen. We have added a couple of kitchen towels, and a small knife. Cloth napkins are a rarity here, so I bought a couple of small hand towels instead. The window over the sink provides a nice breeze through the living room and bedroom. While we don't have access to the pretty garden below, the view is very nice.




Today was library day...The Merida English Library (MEL) is about 7 blocks from here, in an old house. The architecture is typical: built close to the street, with a beautiful interior courtyard. There are lots of weekly events for the Norte Americano snowbirds, and tonight we'll go back for what they call Nafta...a social hour for the library members, with bebidas and antijitos. While we were there, a couple of high school seniors came in, and because I was close to the doorway, they asked if they could interview me for their English class. I tried to send them to one of the libary people, but it didn't work. So, they practiced their english and I practiced my spanish, and we had a very nice conversation! They interviewed Stuart, too. "how do you like our culture, what is different about our culture, etc" They will both probably study chemistry next year in university.

We found another neighborhood mercado, close to the library. By the time we got there, it was time for a meal, and we chose one of the dozen comidors. The menu langauge has food I don't know, so I'm working my way through each new dish. Well, we don't have to worry about ordering mandango kibil anymore. It's tripe soup. The woman and her daughter were watching me, and when we left, 'mama' asked it I like it. It was obvious that I didn't, and she got a laugh out of it.

Everyone is friendly, and helpful. At one of the produce vendors inside, as I was buying oregano, the young woman wanted to learn the english for some of the produce she sells. And, she explained to me, in spanish, what some preparations are. All, with a smile on her face. The juice oranges are about 7 cents each, and it takes about three to make two glasses of fresh juice each morning. Our pantry and fridge are getting stocked with necessary ingredients, and we're learning the neighborhood.

No comments: