Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Winter trip


The colorful leaves in my garden tell me that it's time to bring in the garden hoses and other summer things. We haven't had a frost yet, but it will come soon I suspect. The pink Fairy roses are blooming, which is normal. The Sombrueil rose and the hibiscus mutablis (confederate rose) is blooming. Both are late this year, but it's been an extreme summer/fall. This is one of the Sara's Favorite crepe myrtles in the white garden...yesterday, the leaves were half gold and half red. What a difference 24 hours makes!



We're getting ourselves ready for the winter trip to southern Mexico and Guatemala. Finally! Guatemala has been on our list for a couple of years, and we're looking forward to Antiqua/Xela/Lake Atitlan. First, though, we'll settle into the rhythm of Oaxaca for a month. I'll be happy to return to a favorite city, to eat the best food in the country, be a tourist in the mountains and see old friends there. Friends will be arriving here Friday, just before we leave. Ruby and Jack, and their cat Claude (I know, this is too corny to be real!) are between residences, so the timing is perfect for them. Not so for us, they'll be here when we're gone. What's wrong with this picture?!? But, Stuart and I are happy for them to have a comfortable place to live while they get details worked out on their next move. Jack retired from law enforcement about 2 years ago. We met while traveling. Ruby quit her job as an oncology nurse when Jack retired. They've been traveling the country in a 5th wheel, and are between rv's right now. Their new one, a custom made 5th wheel, will be ready in early February. The big problem? I have to not only pack for our trip, but MOVE OUT OF THE CLOSET so they'll have room while living here! OK, sorry. Ruby has promised to toss any of my clothes she finds that I really should have tossed a long time ago. What are friends for, I ask? She may even plant some collards in my garden while we're gone, but I've suggested that it may be late to get plants in the ground. Maybe some lettuce, she suggests...


I'm thankful for good health, the best friends a girl could imagine, and a husband who tolerates multiple unfinished projects all over the place. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: