Thursday, May 5, 2011

Art and Soul, 2011

This is a page from a journal created by Ingrid Dijkers. I took a class with her at Art and Soul 2011, Hampton, VA. She had such great creativity, and great technical knowledge...I have several pages of notes, and a few pages prepped for drawing, after a day in her class. I also studied with Kari McKnight, another graphic artist who is very talented; and LK Ludwig, a photographer/book-binder/artist.

What I don't have is a picture of my friends! Hopefully, someone else has one, and will share with me.

A couple of things I learned:

household primer is a great 'gesso' according to one teacher and a terrible choice according to another teacher. Liquitex is The Best gesso according to one teacher, and never-to-be-considered by another teacher. Stabilo pens are awesome. Future floor wax is a great, reasonably priced sealer. Archival, too, so no worries about fading or yellowing. Gesso can make ANY paper sturdy. There is a built-in Magic Grid in most point-and-shoot cameras. When photo'ing people, you should probably take 5 steps forward; who cares what shoes they are wearing? A Dremel has four DIFFERENT colletts. Who came up with that stupid design? There is now available a universal collett. A woman demanded that sensible notion, I'm sure.

"A woman can run faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down", Tremmie Jewel Waller, ca 1930.

Make art every day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: