Friday, March 18, 2011

Charleston

No pics today, maybe later....

I just returned home (yet again!) from Charleston, where I spent a few days with a life-long friend, Kathy, who's husband is recovering from brain tumor surgery.  He's had a few rough days lately, as has Kathy.  She's sleeping in the chair by his bedside, and after 17 days of that routine is a little tired.  I'm thankful that I could get her out of the hospital for a little bit, to enjoy the sunshine, and walk past a few gardens.  We had a couple of meals outside the hospital, too, and she slept one night at the hotel with me in a REAL bed!  Sam appears to be improving, and we're all cheering for his grumpy personality to return soon.  Poco a poco, little by little.

In my gardens, Veona's March Pinks are blooming; some daffodils are finished, others are beginning; the early forsythia is finished, and the late forsythia is still glorious.  The helleborus' are gorgeous, I'd like to plant more but they are too pricey to buy plants.  I'll look for seeds!  I bought a few pots of thrift, which will get planted on the ditch bank by the blueberries...I think that will be a beautiful sight in a couple of years!  The warm weather veggie seeds are in dirt inside, and the peas are sown in the garden.  The cilantro volunteers are up...I leave the seeds where they drop each spring, they sprout at the Perfect Time the next spring, without any assistance from me.  Lovely system, isn't it?  The timing is always perfect with the cilantro.

I've come up with a system for plant rotation in the garden, after reading an article in Mother Earth News from  last fall.  A system that will work for me, it allows for spontaneous planting. I think.

The pollen has begun in Charleston, so will start here next week, I believe.  Counting the days until we can clean the porch, and move outside for the summer!

No comments: