Sunday, January 27, 2013

Oaxaca Graffiti

The bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca passes close to the old train station in Oaxaca.  As we arrived in the city and passed el ferrocoril, I noticed the graffiti.  Every wall available was painted in brightly
colored scenes and wildly imagined creatures.

I think of graffiti in the old definition:  badly spelled words, scrawled on the highway overpasses and on abandoned buildings.  This is the new definition of graffiti!  Here are a few badly photographed pieces of Oaxacan street art, complete with shadows of street signs and other distractions.

This one is on Arteaga, just west of our apartment.
 I took these two photos after the Sunday afternoon jazz concert in the courtyard at Casa Colonial.  I think it's on Independencia, west of the zocalo.  Mayan gods and goddesses are poplar topics, along with corn and women.  I noticed the Zentangle-ishness of this painting.  www.zentangle.com

On the corner of Benito Juarez and Xicotincotl (I think!).

A poster, one of a repeat, on a north-facing wall on Morelos, east of Crespo. 
 
 Loud music began in the parking lot behind our apartment on La Noria yesterday afternoon, and I walked around the corner to see what the party was about.  I captured these three men, covering over another painting.  The street light is painted, but is a "shadow" of the real street light, just out of this image.  I love the birds on the line!  About one half the block of walls has been painted, and these dudes were in the process of creating a new painting, over the old one.  the music ended promptly at 10:00 last night.  I believe it was because "carriages at 10:00".  The buses don't run after about 11, which meant all those partiers couldn't have gotten home if they didn't leave by 10pm!
         
This is what it looked like the next  morning:


Yesterday, this delightfully fearsome creature lived beside the painting above. This morning it was covered with a base color, and I'm eager to see what the next painting will be.  I'm glad I photographed this yesterday afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon I snapped this image of the woman and corn.  See the next picture for the "after"...  Maybe this week we'll get to the neighborhood around the train station, and I'll see more modern street art. I love this city!


No comments: