Friday, October 18, 2013

New clothes

      Following www.newdressaday.com has inspired me to look at otherwise unusable clothes with a new eye.  So, when I found a shirt in the Vintage Values donation basket in my own closet, I rescued it.  We bought this linen shirt for my husband while traveling in Merida a few years ago, and we both love the shirt.  But, he's lost weight, and this shirt is no longer good on him.  I cut out the sleeves, removed the collar, cut the neckline to a v-neck shape, took in the side seams by several inches and stitched a new button on the front.  I will wear the new vest with a black t-shirt or turtleneck and black jeans or leggings. 

I love the pintucks and embroider, and couldn't let this shirt get away!












oh, the color is not at all accurate here, but what's an amateur photographer to do?










The back pintucks.  Aren't they pretty?
























This is not a remake, but a redo.  I love this Marci Tilton jacket pattern, Vogue 8559. It's just my style, with close fitting sleeves that don't get in the way.  This is the third time I've used this pattern, this time using a batiked, single-knit .  I chose an inappropriate trim, cotton netting, which didn't hold up after several washings.  While I like the white and the net, it just wasn't working!  I picked out the stitching, cut more cotton netting and replaced it.  The difference?  Instead of a raw edged application, I folded it and stitched it on. It gives the same appearance, but will wear much better!

Love the white net...it's been in the stash for a while, and it's time for it to rise to the top of the List.

Now, back to the prep for the trip to Oaxaca.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

gypsygirl said...

Reuse or repurpose, you go girl!

karenc said...

Hey, I've learned thrift shopping from the Best....you!
see good sites on your drive east.