Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Queen of Excuses

 
 
Posted by Picasa


I've neglected my blog for the past few days, with no excuses. That I say that is a surprise, because I can be the Queen of Excuses. If you ever need one, call me. But, right now, I thought I'd do a little catching up..

A couple of days ago, Stuart and I spent a totally delightful morning at the MACAY, the art museum at the zocalo. According to Yucatan Living, the building dates to the mid-1500's, and was once the city armory. It is a huge building, with a most tranquil central courtyard. And oasis in the center of the city, with artwork, shade, benches, a breeze and nobody to ask me if I'm 'shopping today?' And, the best gift is that it is free! I can spend many days, seeing this museum, there is much to study.

There are several permanent exhibits, one is the work of Fernando Garcia Ponce. What a diverse group of work. During sis teenage years, he painted lovely portraits and landscapes, then moved to cubism for a few years, then moved to enormous collaged works, which I loved the most. But, his very early work is equally intriguing. We also saw work from Jorge Cherriz Siera (sculpture), Sara Millet, Francisco Barajas, Fernando Castro Pacheco, Antonio Serna and Barbara McClatchie.

The photos here are a sculpture by an unknown (to me) artist, in the courtyard. The other photo is a painting by Antonio Serna. His exhibit hall showed 32 paintings, all with equally startling light and texture. The photo is NOT out of focus!

Some of the galleries allow non-flash photos, others, like the galleries with the Orozcos, Riveras and others did not.

Lovely visit.

No comments: