Friday, December 30, 2011

Bayou 101, Mobile, Alabama

 
 
Posted by Picasa
We drove over to Mobile, AL yesterday. It's only 45 miles west of Pensacola. On the way, we looked at a possible paddle site on the Perdido River, which divides Florida and Alabama. The main goal, however, was to eat at Michael's on Conception Street, and to go the the impressive Mobile Art Museum.

Michael was no longer cooking. His restaurant has been closed since not long after we were there 2 years ago, and I can only guess that his illness overcame his need to cook. What a fine meal we had with him! And, went back 2 more times in less than a week. Well, Robert is cooking in that same tiny kitchen,and presenting a fine Cajun meal. I ordered the cauliflower salad and crawfish anyway the chef would like to serve them to me. Stuart ordered the shrimp po'boy, with crawfish slaw. Ohmy! What a fine meal! My crawfish were in a tomato sauce, with cajun seasoning. The cauliflower was like a warm potato salad. He made a roux, then added the Trinity, and cauliflower. At the last minute, a little cream. What a fine meal! I ordered one of the daily specials to take home for dinner: a pork stew, with rice. I served it with some fresh lettuce from my mobile garden and bread we bought at Panera. A fine eating day!

Then, on to the Mobile Art Museum. They were showing a collection of hand-colored prints from JW Audubon. Who would have ever thought I'd see some of his work?!? He did the drawings, over many years. Two of his sons created the backgrounds, and a printer in London added the color. It was a thrill to see his work, and read a little about him. Mostly birds, but a few mammals. And, the trees and shrubs those birds were known to love. It is an exhibit I'd love to visit daily for a month, to see it all. There were other exhibits, too, including the permanent collection of glass, clay and wood, which I enjoyed seeing again. When we were leaving the museum, I spied a Bald Eagle over the lake beside the museum. Wow! Of course the eagles live here, the Mobile Bay is so huge and a perfect fishing place for the big birds. It was really a good day!

No comments: