Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Bayou with many other names....

South of here, there is a tiny little bayou that flows into Perdido Bay. The Florida map calls it Herron Bayou. The State Wildlife Boat Ramp sign calls it Heron Bayou. The bridge wall is engraved, "Herrion Bayou Bridge". I think the state had a disagreement on spelling. We paddled up-bayou from the boat ramp this week. This pretty blue heron was hanging out under the pier when we arrived, and was there when we returned from the paddle. The fishing must be good under there. We both saw white pelicans and I saw three belted kingfishers. Heard more kingfishers and woodpeckers, too. The little bayou didn't go far before dribbling into muck, but it was pretty. Afterwards, we bought spicy boiled peanuts from a man by the side of the road, and had lunch at the Tarkiln State Park, under the long leaf pines. Lovely day.
 
















 
Posted by Picasa

I had some alone time this week, too, while Stuart pounded a few nails for the local Habitat for Humanity group. I thought this zentangled star was finished last week, but it kept calling me to add to it. I'm still not sure it's finished, but I've already begun another!

No comments: