Sunday, January 30, 2011

Leaving in the broad daylight

We headed east in our little lancha, it's early but the sun is already hot. We motored past the dock where we left Tilapa a few days ago, and pretty quickly we saw another small island, with a hand-made bridge crossing the lagoon. In the middle was an narrow arch, to the lanchas to pass. A small crowd of people was crossing the arch, with musical instruments on their heads. It's Sunday, Evangelical churches are the best place for music here, and I suspect there is some good music in their near future. We motor on, and the water gets very shallow.....










A few huts on the other island, and I can see a power pole, so there will be speakers for the music that's about to begin.

















The water is very shallow, and our captain stops the motor and begins to pole through the shallows. Another boat is heading in the opposite direction, and that captain points out a path that is a little deeper. I hear some shouts,and see four wagons pulled by mules begin to cross the lagoon. The boys are racing each other through the shallow water!  This picture, with the cell phone towers in the background, seems to be an image that is confused....












I should crop these pics, for a closer image... by now, Stuart is helping pole, and I'm suggesting that I get out and help pull the boat by the rope. I tell our young captain about the times my daddy would run us on the sandbar at the beach at home, and I'd tow us through the shallow water, rope over my shoulder. He laughed, and suddenly we were in water just deep enough to start the motor again.

He begins to ask about a few english phrases, and I help him with, "How are you?" and, "I'm fine, thank you!". He knows "please" and "thank you" already. He asks me how much $20US is worth in quetzales, and is surprised at the answer. When we reach the town of Ocos, he grabs Stuart's bag (of course!), and walks us up the deserted, paved street to a corner. Here's where the colectivo will stop for us, and in about 5 minutes, the bus arrives. I give him a piece of paper with his new english written on it, give and get a hug, and we're off to Tecun Uman, the border town. Our Guatemala adventure is almost over.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: