Friday, December 24, 2010

Etla Paper Factory


Down a few steps, close to a small stream, is a small paper making cooperative. Here are a few pieces of paper lying on the ground, drying.






















Plain, untextured paper, drying in the sun. In the past, it was laid on towels or burlap bags. Now, I see they are using sheets of metal.  It has already been pressed, to remove most of the water.  It will dry in the hot sun in no time.
















Vats of various plant materials, fermenting for make paper. I saw two big Holland beaters in the back, for chopping the raw materials.




















Today, it appears they are making textured papers. We watched two artisans creating texture with various tools in the wet paper. One of the men told me the paper would be totally dry tomorrow. After the texture is created in the paper, it is air brushed with color. I saw several 2-liter refresca bottles close by, with an assortment of dye ready for use.

The little factory is in the shade of the Toledo Gallery, under the trees. It's cool and peaceful here, and not many people even know they are down here. In the old electric house, there is now a classroom for group projects, and a couple of shelves filled with the papers for sale. I've bought some, without paint, in past visits, but buy nothing today. Maybe another visit...


After we have spent a few hours between the gallery and the paper factory, we walked back through the village, to the place where the taxi's will eventually come. Like the bus system here, if you wait, it will come! We watched a small group hanging more banners. Soon enough, a colectivo arrived, with one woman already on board. Being the shortest and skinniest of our party, I took the 'seat' between seats in the front. On the emergency brake. Of course, the driver had it padded. It was clear very quickly that changing gears was going to get personal, I had no place to put my left leg except by the gear shifter. Soon, I was shifting gears for our driver left-handed, and we crawled around pot holes and over rocks in the dirt road. Then, zipped between buses and trucks, over topes ('sleeping policemen', or speed bumps). Our driver, who's name I didn't get, laughed the entire trip back to the city. When we got back I told him that I should ride free, since I helped drive. He laughed, but disagreed.

It was a good day, and I will see that exhibit again! So much to take in, it will require another trip, and I'll take Stuart with me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: