Sunday, December 12, 2010

more pics from the Abastos


I think this plant is a member of the same family as pineapple. Mama gave me a small cousin last year. It needs humidity (hey, we've got that at home!) to live. Mine has bloomed once, an orange spike. These plants show up every year at this time, alongside the mosses that are sold for Christmas decorations. The mosses must come from the mountians above the valley, it's all desert here.


















I love the green glaze on the pottery. Betsy tells me it must a low fired, it's a little fragile, but it's used extensively in homes and restaurants for cooking and serving. I use it on my gas cook top at home...Be careful when you buy it! An unwary buyer will take home a bowl that won't sit level. All the pottery vendors are in permanent booths, outside the Abastos, spread out over the space of a city block. I'm telling you, this place is BIG!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: